Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Now is the winter of my discontent

I have a secret knitter confession to make. I don't like knitting socks. At all. I've knit 3 pairs for my boyfriend, who wears them in the winter. I haven't even finished knitting one pair of socks for myself. That single, lonely sock I started at least two years ago is languishing on the needles. Maybe it's the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, but I find that all I want to do is knit fingerless gloves. That's right, fingerless gloves. I like how I can customize them to fit me and my unusual hands. No matter what I do, I can't find store bought gloves that fit me well. If they're small enough for my fingers, they're too narrow for my hands. If they're wide enough for my hands, they're way too big on my fingers. Apparently, I'm even an odd size in sterile gloves, x-small which is the least frequently ordered glove size according to our lab supplies rep. But with fingerless gloves, I can circumvent the whole issue of sizing. They're surprizingly warm to boot. I dug out a pair I started last year, after the Yarn Harlot started a trend with the silk mawata gloves. Any gloves recommended by a native Canadian must be warm, I thought. So I went out and bought some hankies from The Painted Tiger, who has some fantastic colorways. I got the flame colorway, which is half red and half yellow, which has made some burningly bright stripes. I'm loving it. I have no idea why I ever put it down a year ago. I slipped them on to see how much more I wanted to knit before doing the thumb opening, and holy cow! She wasn't kidding, they are warm. Hopefully I'll get them done before another year is out and I can have more insulation against the wintry winds hustling in the new season with frigid abandon.

No comments:

Welcome to Crazytown, where my friends have proclaimed me queen. Why did they do that you ask? For some reason, there's very little that I fear about knitting. Hmm, a dress in laceweight done in lace knitting written by vogue? Sounds great! I have very few inhibitions when it comes to knitting, and that sometimes ends disasteriously. Apparently, other people think this signifies a level of crazy that only the royalty can attain. Follow along with my escapades as I dive head first into all sorts of insane techniques and projects without much more than an "Oh! That looks pretty, I can make it!"

Those will probably be my famous last words.